Choosing the best heater is not just a luxury; it is one of the most essential components that you will require for your aquarium. Heater plays an essential role in keeping your tank at the right temperature. Maintaining your aquarium temperature is very important since sudden fall and rise of temperature will cause your fishes inside the tank to stress out and lose colors, sometimes even death. So, choosing the best filter tank for a 10 gallon tank can be troublesome, since temperatures change considerably more rapidly in a little tank than the typical large ones.
Hence, we have tested many heaters for 10 gallon tanks, and down below, we will be reviewing the best heaters for a 10 gallon tank. So, stay in your seat and read through carefully to find the best heater for a 10 gallon tank.
Best Heater for 10 Gallon Tanks: Top 8 Reviewed
Here is a list of our top 8 heaters for 10 gallon tanks that we have tried and tested ourselves.
1. Aquatop Quartz Glass Submersible Heaters -50 W
Aquatop Quartz Glass Submersible Heaters (50W-300W)
- FULLY SUBMERSIBLE AQUARIUM HEATER: Maintain constant and stable temperatures for your aquatic creatures to thrive with...
- GREAT FOR FRESH & SALTWATER USE: The easy to use, adjustable temperature settings have added overwind protection and is...
Weight and dimension
This filter has a dimension of 9 x 1.5 x 1.5 inches with a weight of 9.6 Ounces\
Aquatop is one of the most renowned company when it comes to aquarium and aquarium accessories. The Aquatop Quartz is one of the finest aquarium heaters for a 10 gallon tank. Like the Tetra HT, this heater is also small and compact yet very effective.
It is exceptionally simple to mount due to the suction cups that it comes with and can be mounted either horizontally or vertically. To control the temperature, the Aquatop Quartz has a knob, which you can turn to control the temperature with the scale having both F and C.
This Aquarium heater has an innovative design; it’s made of very durable insulated glass with double insulation and has a temperature range of 68-93F
- It is made with double insulation and high-quality glass.
- Easy to mount and can be used in both vertical and horizontal positions.
- The setup is very easy.
- Temperature control can be done with an easy to use the knob.
- Can be used for both freshwater and saltwater tank.
- The heater is fully submersible.
- Even though the manufacturer says, it works perfectly up to 13 gallon tank; it doesn’t. However, it will work entirely up to 10 gallons.
The Aquatop Quartz Glass filter is a small, aesthetically pleasing looking filter that works perfectly for 10 gallon tanks; the temperature control is effortless, and you can adjust it according to your winds. Additionally, it comes with over-wind protection, which gives you even more accurate results. This heater takes only a small amount of space and is fully submersible, which doesn’t destroy the look of your beautiful tank.
2. Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design) from 25W to 300W
- Super-flat design. Fully submersible, modern design for energy efficient Aquarium and terrarium heating. Includes...
- Accurate, one-touch system. Simply set temperature between 66-96°f with one touch and the neo-therm electronic...
Weight and Dimension
This heater has a dimension of 3.25 x 2.25 x 7.75 inches with a weight of 10.88 Ounces
If you are looking for a 99% accurate filter, then the Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-therm is the one to go for. The Cobalt heater is made with technologically advanced with its unique one-touch system, which makes setting the temperature much more manageable.
Another unique and best feature of this heater is the precision to give precise temperature ranges that changed just ±0.5°F around your set temperature. This heater comes with a range of 66-96 degrees Fahrenheit; hence you won’t have any problems regardless of the fact what type of fishes you are keeping in your 10 gallon tank.
The built-in LED display is very useful since it will show you both the set temperature and the water’s current water temperature.
- One touch temperature control system
- It has a temperature range of 30 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Looks aesthetically pleasing
- LED display which shows both the current water temperature along with your set temperature.
- The heater is a bit slow to react.
The Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm heater is one of the finest and highly innovative heaters out there for a 10 gallon tank. It has a wide temperature range, which makes it useable for all types of fishes. Moreover, the one touch system makes it very easy to control the temperature. The Led display makes it, even more user friendly by providing information about both the set temperature and the current water temperature. The heater is also very durable due to its shatterproof outer casing.
3. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater
Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater with Electronic Thermostat
- Electronic thermostat automatically maintains water temperature
- Prevents overheating for extended heater life
Weight and dimension
The Tetra Ht has a dimension of 5.25 x 1.62 x 3.5 inches with a weight of 6.38 Ounces.
In case you are in search of a comparatively smaller heater for your 10 gallon tank, then Tetra HT is the best option to go for. This heater comes with a green and red indicator light, which will show you when your heater is getting heated up or in standby mode.
The thermostat works with very low voltage and will keep water at 78 degrees Fahrenheit at default settings. You can also keep the tank either horizontally or vertically as you wish to, and it will stay submerged inside the tank without any hassle. Moreover, it doesn’t take much space inside the aquarium.
The mounting is also very easy since this heater will come with a suction cup.
- It can be stored in a very small space.
- It contains an indicator light to show when the water is heated up.
- The temperature stays consistent.
- Easy mounting inside the aquarium because of the suction cups.
- This filter can be placed both vertically and horizontally.
- You cannot set your own temperature.
If you are looking for a simple heater which you do not need to alter the different settings for temperature adjustments, then the Tetra HT submersible heater is for you. It is small, slim looking with an aim to keep a constant temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit of your water inside the 10 gallon tank. Coming with indicator lights, it gives you a clear and easier indication when the filter is running.
4. Hydor Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater
Hydor Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater - Original Theo
- Hydor Theo 50-Watt Aquarium Heater is a fully submersible; shatter-proof glass aquarium heater ideal for 5-to-14-gallon...
- Maximum Safety Aquarium Heater; THEO fish tank heater is shock resistant thanks to the patented PTC heating element and...
Weight and Dimension
The Hydor submersible glass heater has a dimension of 3.5 x 2 x 10 inches with a weight of 8 Ounces
The Hydor Theo heater is designed with the unique PTC technology that gives the heater the ability to not breakdown while running out of the tank. The heater will keep your fishes safe since it is shockproof and shatterproof. Moreover, you can keep this heater horizontally, vertically, it can also stay fully submerged.
It accompanies a graduated scale for the exact temperature setting and has a proper temperature run as well. It really shows your setting in C and F to guarantee that you can comprehend it easily. In spite of the fact that this thing doesn’t show current tank temperature, it manages yield dependent on your settings.
- It comes with a graduated scale to show accurate temperature.
- It doesn’t breakdown even while running dry.
- It is designed to shockproof.
- The heater has a very high resistance.
- It is made up of glass, so you need to be careful.
The Hydor Submersible heater is an excellent looking small heater that keeps temperature well regulated in 10 gallon tanks and is designed to be durable as well. Along with these, you can also see and set the temperature according to your preferences. So, in a word, the Hydor Submersible Glass heater is one of the best heater for a 10 gallon tank.
5. Orlushy Mini Aquarium Heater 50W
Orlushy Mini Aquarium Heater 50W 100W 150W, Small Fish Tank Heater with LED Digital Temperature Display and External Temperature Controller for Betta Frogs Newts Turtles
- - 100 Watt Aquarium Heater: AK4For 10-20 gallons fish tank, 100W aquarium heater, voltage 110V, power cord 5(ft), the...
- - External controller: This heater is designed to be the external controller, and users can change the temperature...
Weight and dimension
The Orlushy mini has a dimension of 4 x 2.75 x 1.6 inches with a weight of 8.78 Ounces
Small tanks like 10 gallon sizes are perfect in case you want to keep Newts, Turtles, and Frogs; then, the Orlushy Mini can be an excellent choice. You do not need to worry since your fishes will also be safe with the Orlushy mini heater. This heater can work in both freshwater and saltwater.
You can choose the exact temperature upkeep anyplace between 68°F to 93°F. There is also a built-in thermostat in this heater, which will automatically turn off the heater when you have reached your ideal temperature.
This heater is made up of shatterproof thick quartz glass, which makes it very durable. There is also a LED display that shows the temperature, so you will have no problem in reading the temperature.
- The heater can be used in both saltwater and freshwater.
- There is a built-in thermostat, which automatically turns the heater off upon reaching the required temperature.
- It is made up of thick shatterproof quartz glass.
- Is suitable for Frogs, Newts, and other aquatic animals.
- Has a broad range of temperature control.
- The heater is a bit slow to heat the water.
The Orlushy Mini is one of the finest small heaters for aquatic animals. This is a very good-looking heater with great functionality. This heater has a broad temperature range, which will enable to keep any types of fishes or aquatic animals that you want to keep in a 10 gallon tank. Moreover, the built-in thermostat and the auto turning off feature will save you from wasting a lot of time and hassle.
6. Fluval M Submersible Heater
- Aquarium heater that blends into the aquarium environment with built-in reflective technology that mirrors the...
- Computer-calibrated thermostat and easy-to-adjust temperature control dial
Weight And dimension
The Fluval M has a dimension of 1.8 x 4.8 x 14.8 inches with a weight of 8.48 Ounces
The Fluval M heater is designed to be slim and minimalistic, which enables it to be set up easily without any complications. This model is a very good-looking one where the most unique feature is the inclusion of a mirror which helps the filter to be camouflaged that imitate the surroundings to stay hidden.
The thermostat is finely computer-calibrated for precise temperature settings, and the temperature adjustment is very easy due to the dial, which is situated at the top of the heater. Additionally, you can use this filter for both freshwater and saltwater. The heater further comes with a ceramic heat sick for even more accurate heating of water.
- The thermostat is a computer calibrated, which can automatically calibrate the water temperature.
- The temperature can be easily controlled with a simple dial.
- It comes with a unique reflective technology.
- The exterior is made up of glass, so it can breakdown if you drop it.
What makes the Fluval M submersible heater unique is their shock-resistant borosilicate glass that comes with a reflective technology, which will mirror the surrounding in such a way that your heater will seem to be hidden inside the 10-gallon tank. And when it comes to quality, Fluval never compromises with their quality; hence you can be sure that this heater will perform according to its name.
7. Aqueon Pro Submersible heater
Aqueon Pro Submersible 50W Heater
- Adjustable heat setting 68 to 88°F, Electronic Thermostat accurate to +/- 1°
- Shatterproof and nearly indestructible
Weight and dimension
The Aqueon Pro 50W has a dimension of 4 x 12.5 x 2 inches with a weight of 9.6 Ounces
This heater is our recommendation for absolute beginners since it is very easy to use and offers excellent performance. The best feature of this filter is the automatic turn on feature when the water reaches below the required temperature and the auto turn-off when the water is in the required temperature.
This heater has a temperature range from 68°F to 88°F, along with an indicator light that will show you when the heater is on. A nice feature about this heater is made up of quartz glass, which is somewhat Indestructible and shatterproof.
- User friendly and is perfect for beginners.
- It doesn’t require a lot of space to store.
- Auto turn on and off feature.
- It is made up of shatterproof quartz glass.
- It doesn’t have a display to show you the current water temperature.
The Aqueon Pro is a very simple yet effective heater for 10 gallon tanks, and it is best if you are a beginner. This small filter works very fast and heats up the water in the tank in no time. The auto turn on and off feature makes this tank even more suitable for absolute beginners or even aquarists who are busy with work and do not have much time to take care of the tank.
8. Hygger Titanium aquarium heater – 50W
hygger Titanium Aquarium Heater for Salt Water and Fresh Water, Digital Submersible Heater with External IC Thermostat Controller and Thermometer, for Fish Tank 5-120 Gal
- 【For Fish Tank 5-10 Gallon】voltage 110-120V, power 50W, heater rod length 8.7inch. The heater and controller power...
- 【Fully Automatic Control】very easy and reliable to use. After well installing the aquarium heater and the...
Weight and Dimension
The Hygger titanium heater has a dimension of 14.7 x 5.6 x 2.2 inches with a weight of 1.9 Pounds
Hygger makes this model an aquarium heater for many different tank sizes. However, they do have one for 10 gallon tanks, and it is one of the best filters in the market right now. This filter is slightly larger and heavier compared to the other models we have reviewed so far.
This heater is very durable since it is made up of titanium, and unlike glass heaters, this won’t break down quickly. The heater also comes with a computerized thermostat, which permits you to set the temperature according to your choices, and this temperature can go up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
It also comes with a very informative display that will show you the heater temperature along with the current temperature of the tank.
- This heater will keep your temperature constant up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Can be used for both freshwater and saltwater
- It is made up of titanium, which is stronger than glass.
- It has a precision of 1-degree Fahrenheit.
- You cannot use this filter vertically.
If you have a bad habit of dropping things and want to get a heater more durable than the traditional glass heater, then the Hygger Titanium heater is the one to go for. It is made up of titanium, which is much more durable than the glass heaters. It comes with a display that shows you both the set temperature along with the current temperature of the water, which makes it easier to keep records of temperature in your 10 gallon tank.
Buying Guide for best heater for 10 gallon fish tanks:
You have already read the list of best heater for a 10 gallon tank. However, before selecting your best heater; make sure to read this list to find the best heater more easily.
Always go for a filter that has a good temperature range, so you can keep all types of fishes in your 10 gallon tank. And also, go for a heater that allows temperature control with a simple dial or one touch system; ideally, a heater with a temperature range of 66-90 degrees is good enough.
To save yourself from the pain of always turning on and off the heater, go for a model that has a temperature regular, which will automatically turn the heater on and off according to the needs.
If your heater display shows both the current temperature of your water and the set temperature, that will make monitoring of temperature much easier for you; however, if you are opting for a smaller heater, you might not be able to have both the options.
Heater Placement and size
Since you are working with a smaller 10 gallon tank, you do not want to select a heater too big, which will cover most of your aquarium. Go for a smaller heater (you can choose an option from our list in the top; here, we have discussed mostly about smaller heaters with heavy performance). Select heaters that come with suction cups and can be mounted in both horizontal and vertical ways.
Don’t just go for any heater, make sure to select the one that will serve you for long and will not break easily. The best 8 heaters that we have listed are probably the most durable heaters out there for a 10 gallon tank.
Power of the heater
Well, you surely do not want to choose a heater that produces huge power. Since the tank we are working with is only 10 gallons, it is very important that the heater is in the range of 25W-75W. We advise you to pick a heater with a maximum of 50W power, which will give you just enough power to keep the temperature in your aquarium constant.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What wattage of filter should I use for a 10 gallon tank?
Answer: There is a simple ratio calculation that you can do to find the heater’s perfect wattage for a 10 gallon tank. Generally, you should have at least 2.5-5W per gallon. Hence for a 10 gallon tank, you need to have between 25W to 75W heater. Commonly a 50W heater works more than fine for a 10 gallon tank.
2. How do I know the right temperature for my 10 gallon tank?
Answer: Well, in order to find the right temperature of water you, need to know the correct characteristics of your fishes that you are going to keep in your 10 gallon tank. Every fish has its own temperature requirements; some need high temperatures, whereas some need low. But on average most aquariums range from 76-86 Fahrenheit. Hence study the characteristics of your fishes well and know what temperature they require to imitate their natural habitat.
3. Where should I place my aquarium Heater?
Answer: This is a question that is often ignored. However, it is an important fact to ensure the proper functioning of your heater. It is important that you keep the heater towards the inlet or outlet of the filter towards the water flow. Keeping your heater in this way will ensure that the heat is easily and evenly distributed throughout the tank.
4. How often should I do maintenance of a heater?
Answer: A aquarium heater is something that doesn’t need frequent maintenance; you can clean them once in two months. However, it is essential that you get a model whose replaceable parts are easily available in the market.
5. How to find the best heater for a 10 gallon tank?
Answer: It is an interesting question since finding the best heater for a 10 gallon tank is not an easy task. To find the best heater, you can simply go through our list of top 8 heaters for 10 gallon tanks, and you can even do further research on them by reading more user reviews before selecting which model is going to be the best for you.
6. What should be my budget?
Answer: Well, the budget is a key factor while choosing the best heater. Since high performing heaters will cost more than the low performing heaters, so it is important you should fix your budget before getting a heater.
A budget of 10–30 dollars will get you a very good heater for a 10 gallon tank.
Since choosing a good heater for a 10 gallon tank seems tedious, we created this list for the best heater for a 10 gallon tank. Here we have listed the top 8 f=heaters for 10 gallon tanks that have outdone their competitors in this arena. As we might already, there are many different options for a heater for a 10 gallon tank. But according to our tests, these 8 heaters stand out from the rest, and you can be assured of the best performance from them. So, what are you waiting for grab the best heater and give your fishes in the 10 gallon tank a healthy and happy life which they will enjoy.
What size heater should I have for a 10-gallon tank? ›
For the heater wattage, the basic rule of thumb is to use between 2.5 and 5 watts per gallon of actual water volume in the aquarium.What temperature should I set my aquarium heater? ›
A good range is 76° to 80°F (25° to 27°C). A few species need to be kept several degrees warmer, and some species require temperatures a few degrees cooler. A thermometer is vital. A stick-on type enables you to check the temperature whenever you look at the aquarium.What can I put in my 10-gallon tank? ›
- Brown Pencilfish. Let's start off with a top-dwelling fish, which can be hard to find for a 10-gallon tank. ...
- Apistogramma. ...
- Lyretail Killifish. ...
- Kuhli Loach. ...
- Cherry Barb. ...
- White Cloud Mountain Minnow. ...
- Neolamprologus multifasciatus. ...
- Green Neon Rasbora.
For gas water heaters, it usually takes on average 30 to 40 minutes for the water in the tank to be completely heated.How many watts for 10 gallon tank light? ›
A good basic rule to follow is to provide 1 to 2 watts of lighting per gallon for fish-only aquariums, 2 to 5 watts per gallon for freshwater planted aquariums, and 4 to 8 watts per gallon for reef aquariums.Which heater will produce more heat? ›
Where V = supply voltage, R = resistance of the heating element. Since, the same current will pass through both the heaters, the heater which has more resistance will produce more heat. hence, more heat will be produced by 300W heater.What type of water heater heats the fastest? ›
Propane Heats Water Faster than an Electric Water Heater
Simply put, it's how fast the energy source heats up the water. Think of it this way. A propane gas furnace can warm up the air up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Whereas an electric heat pump can only generate heat that's even lower than body temperature.
So, after looking at the different types of electric heaters available, due to its lower power-output, halogen heaters are the cheapest electric heaters to run.Is a 50 watt heater for 10 gallon tank? ›
SIZE: Use this 50-watt heater for aquariums up to 10 gallons – UL Listed.Is a 100w heater good for a 20 gallon? ›
For 20 gal tank or 30-gallon aquarium, use a 50 to 100 watts heater.
How many amps does a 10 gallon water heater pull? ›
10 gal., 120 VAC, 16.7 A Amps, Residential Mini Tank Water Heater.How many watts does a 10 gallon water heater need? ›
Smallest 10-gallon and 20-gallon heaters use anywhere between 1000 watt and 2000 watt heaters that run on a 120V circuit. A 1600 watt 120V heater is the standard heater for these smaller water tanks.